Successful 1st EbA Workshop held in Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic, May 12, 2020 - The Caribbean Biodiversity Fund (CBF) Ecosystem based Adaptation (EbA) Facility, in collaboration with the German Development Bank (KfW), the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), and the German Development Agency (GIZ) convened the 1st EbA Workshop in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 25-26 February, 2020.
The event, which targeted mainly the eleven successful applicant organizations from the EbA Facility first call for proposals, was attended by 26 representatives from these organizations, including participants from 12 partner agencies. Additionally, at least three self-funded participants from affiliated initiatives attended the proceedings.
Topics presented and discussed included EbA principles; EbA implementation and tools; Mainstreaming EbA; Status of EbA world-wide; Participants’ EbA experiences; Creation of a knowledge exchange platform for practitioners and policy makers; Technical reporting, monitoring evaluation and learning, procurement guidelines, and financial reporting for EbA Facility project.
The workshop enhanced grantees’ and their partner organizations’ ability to design, implement and manage successful EbA projects and programmes in Caribbean coastal and marine ecosystems. The specific objectives of the workshop were to:
- Ensure all participants have a thorough understanding of EbA tenets
- Provide participants with an EbA tool box for coastal and marine ecosystems and an overview how to use it
- Share relevant lessons learnt on EbA among participants
- Discuss and establish a permanent, virtual EbA knowledge exchange platform
- Provide an overview of the status of EbA world-wide, its context within MEAs, funding and networking opportunities.
- Provide an overview of the EbA Facility and the technical and financial reporting required of grantee organizations.
Participants returned home with a higher awareness of and better access to regional and global EbA knowledge and started to actively exchange experiences. Feedback was very positive and constructive, and there are widespread calls for follow-up workshops and training.
The EbA Facility’s Second Call for Proposals (2nd CfP), was also launched at the workshop. The launch ceremony was presided over by the German Ambassador to the Dominican Republic, His Excellency Volker Pellet, and the Vice minister for Coastal and Marine Resources of the Government of the Dominican Republic, Hon. Ydalia Acevedo, together with representatives of the German Development Bank (KfW), Mr. Karim ould Chih and the CBF, Dr. Joth Singh.